Hang Buom Street
Hang Buom Street.
300m-long Hang Buom Street was located in Ha Khau Ward (present-day Hoan Kiem
District) near the junction of the To Lich and Red Rivers. Prior to 1945, the
street was known by the French name “Rue des Voiles” but after 1954 its name was
changed to Hang Buom Street.
In the past, different kinds of boat sails which were made from homemade
canvas or rush were sold on the Street. It has also been the main residential
place of the Chinese people since the 17th century.
Due to the favourable geographical condition, people in Ha Khau Ward lived
on trades dependent on the water. They produced different kinds of bags, sacks,
trellis-matting from rattan and rush which were transported by boats to other
For a long time in Thang Long Capital, the feudal court had rules on
residence and the place of residence for foreigners, mainly the Chinese. They
were allowed to live in Dien Hung Ward, also called Duong Nhan Ward and Viet
Dong Street, according to the books “Du dia chi” (Geography book) by Nguyen Trai
and “Dai Nam nhat thong chi” (Essays on the United Great Vietnam) respectively.
Thus, Hang Buom was not the residential place of the Chinese. They resided in
Viet Dong Street (present-day Hang Ngang Street ) and then, due to a growing
population, began encroaching on surrounding streets, such as Hang Bo, Phuc Kien
(present-day Lan Ong Street ) and Hang Buom. Due to its location near the wharf,
very favourable for exchanging goods with other localities, the area became the
main residential place for the Chinese.
On Hang Buom Street stands famous Bach Ma Temple at House No. 76. The
Temple worships Long Do God who was one of the four important guardian gods of
Thang Long Capital. The Temple was built facing the South-east with a triumphal
arch, a resting hall, an altar in the first worshipping section and an altar in
the middle worshipping section and harem.
Today, many confectionaries have mushroomed on the street that has become
busy and bustling around the clock./.