Hanoi University of Civil Engineering (HUCE)
1. Foundation Date
Hanoi University of Civil Engineering was established on August 8th, 1966.
The Hanoi University of Civil Engineering is an education and research institution, which provides the education of scientists and technicians at graduate and post- graduate levels in various disciplines of civil engineering. The University is also a scientific and technological research center to bridge the gap of practical production with advanced outcomes of science and technology in the field of civil engineering.
Apart from education, the University also operates a consulting company for scientific research and technological transfer and application of achievements in the field. Teaching staff have also participated in many scientific research projects. Annually, this contingency conducts 10-15 national scientific research projects, 30 at the Ministerial level and hundreds of others at University level. Many of them have been highly evaluated.
Hanoi University of Civil Engineering is one of four universities participating in educating high- qualified engineers of Vietnamese - French Courses. Parallely the University also has French speaking Civil Engineering Courses supported by AUPELF where it is considered as the Institution that has students who defends the theses in French with good quality.
The University today is endeavoring to “build and strive to be a leading and highly qualified education and scientific research center in the field of capital construction, gradually integrating into the regional and international university system in terms of level and quality as well as graduates’ capacity”.
3. Degrees and Programs
3.1. Undergraduate Education: Bachelor''''s degree (B.Sc.):
5 years for 13 professional branches:
- Offshore and Oil Rig Construction
- Civil and Industrial Construction
- Building Materials and Structural Elements
- Road and Bridge Construction
- Informatics Technology applied in Civil Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Urban Water Supply and Sewage Engineering and Water Environment
- Mechanical Engineering in Construction
- Microclimate and Building Environment
- Project Management and Construction Economics
- Harbor and River Engineering
- Hydraulic and Hydropower Engineering
3.2. Postgraduate Education
· Master''''s degree (M.Sc.): 2 years for 14 professional branches:
- Civil and Industrial Construction
- Motorways and City Road Construction
- Offshore Project Construction
- Hydraulic Projects Construction
- Bridges and Tunnels Construction
- Soil Mechanics, Foundation and Under-Ground Projects Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Construction Economics
- Theoretical Mechanics
- Descriptive Geometry and Technical Drawing
- Applied Mathematics in Construction
- Building Material Technologies and Structural Elements Technology
· Doctoral Degree (Ph.D.): 4-6 years for 21 professional branches:
- Theoretical Mechanics
- Material Strength and Structural Mechanics
- Applied Mechanics
- Structural Engineering
- Hydraulics, Engineering Hydrology and Hydraulic Engineering
- Hydropower Station and Equipment
- River and Sea Ports
- In-shore Construction
- Construction Mechanization Technology
- Theories and Experiments
- Construction Organization and Management
- Construction Materials and Products
- Building Material Technology
- Bridges and Tunnels
- Motorways and City Roads
- Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering of Underground Projects
- Water Supply and Drainage
- Thermal Supplies, Air Supplies, Ventilation and Air Conditioning
- Civil, Industrial and Agricultural Construction
- Civil, Industrial and Public Project Architecture
- Spatial Planning and Urban Construction
Education Modes - Undergraduate Level:
- Full-time System
- Appointed - Selected System
- Part-time System
4. Academic Faculties
- Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Faculty of Highways and Bridges
- Faculty of Architecture
- Faculty of Hydraulic Engineering
- Faculty of Environmental Engineering
- Faculty of Building Materials
- Faculty of Construction Mechanics
- Faculty of Information Technology
- Faculty of Construction Economics
- Faculty of Postgraduate Studies
- Continuing Education Center
5. Centers and Facilities
- Construction Consulting Company: to provide construction consulting services in building, transport, hydraulic and river engineering, offshore construction, environmental and construction economics issues.
- Center of Technology and Foundation Engineering: application research and consulting services on transport construction projects.
- Construction Informatics Center: serving education and scientific research works of the University.
- Research Center for construction mechanical and electrical technology development: Research, design pilot, manufacture mechanical, electrical and control products for construction. Provide advisory services for technological education on mechanical and control electric aspects.
- Research Center for Investment and Construction: carry out economic scientific research project on construction production organization and management, provide training courses for staff of the construction sector, provide advisory services and scientific appraisal services.
- Center for Environmental Engineering of Towns and Industrial and Areas (CEETIA): services to scientific research and education of the University; Analyze, provide data and information on criteria of environmental quality in Northern provinces and cities; Monitor and supervise environmental quality for cities and towns; Provide advisory services to implement projects and conduct research on environmental engineering issues.
- Hydraulic Engineering Center: carry out scientific and technological research and application of new achievements and advanced technologies into the field of hydraulic engineering and hydropower engineering, port and river engineering; provide consultancy and advisory services on hydraulic structures, hydraulic; produce, experiment and assemble hydraulic machines and measurement instruments.
- Research and Application Center of Building Technique: carry out activities on research, design and appraisal of normal and special construction projects. Train and transfer construction technology.
- Center for Architecture and Town Planning: carry out scientific research on architecture and planning; offer consulting services in construction investment; architectural design, internal and external decoration; educate and strengthen architect’s and planner’s capacity; promote exchange and co-operation in education and scientific research.
- Center of Tropical Building Materials: study and apply tropical building materials; carry out product pilot production and technology transfer; carry out experimentation on materials and structures.
- Structure Laboratory
- Laboratory for Strength of Materials
- Road Laboratory
- Soil Mechanics Laboratory
- Laboratory of Geology
- Topography Instrument Laboratory
- Laboratory for Architectural Physics
- Hydraulic Laboratory
- Laboratory for Engineering Thermology
- Air Environment Laboratory
- Water Environment Laboratory
- Building materials Laboratory
- Chemical Laboratory
- Construction machinery Laboratory
- Physical Laboratory
- Electric and Electronic Laboratory.
6. Faculty and Students
The teaching staff is 560 including 20 Professors and 46 Associate Professors, 160 Doctors and 160 Masters.
Total students: more than 10,000 students of all kinds, of which
- Full-time system: about 6,000 students
- Part-time system: about 4,000 students
- Appointed Selected: 150 students
- Master''''s Degree: 500 students
- Doctoral Degree: 95 students
7. International Relations
Regarding external relations, HUCE has established close relationship with 17 countries and 30 institutions and universities such as:
Weimar University, Darmstadt University (Germany); University of Melbourne, Victoria University (Australia); DELFT University (Netherlands); Laval University, Quebec (Canada); Ponts et Chaussees de Paris, Institute National Polytechnique de Grenoble, INSA de Rennes, INSA de Lyon (France); Kumamoto University, Saitama University (Japan); Tongji University (China); Lahti University (Finland); Stockholm University (Sweden); NTUA (Greece), Liege University (Belgium); Pai Chai University (Korea); MGCY (Russia); Nanyang University (Singapore); AIT (Thailand),...
Cooperative activities are in the following fields:
- Exchange of Academic Information, Materials and Curricula
- Exchange of faculty staffs and students
- Development of education and scientific research and teachers’ capacity development
- Cooperate in international projects and programs
- Co-organization of Seminars, workshops or training courses
In addition, HUCE has had relations with international organizations such as WUS (Canada), KOICA (Korea), AUF, APEC, and DAAD (Germany)./.